Monday, March 15, 2010

Home Again

Saturday afternoon I boarded the plane from Bangalore to Mumbai, later I got on another to Newark, and then one more to Baltimore. 36 hrs later, I was home.

(a goodbye lunch for me with my family)





To make the return trip interesting, I decided to bring home a large clay head called a dhristi in my carry on luggage. Dhristis are traditionally put on the roof of a house to ward off bad luck. I figured it would be perfect on the outside of my house. The head looks a lot like a demon-- it is red, has horns, and his tongue it sticking out. It weighs about ten lbs. I stuck it in the book bag and wrapped clothes around it to protect it.



(this is a dhristi outside of a construction site)





Sadly, it didn't make it past security in Banglore. One security guard told me it was too heavy to be a carry on. Another told me it was a security risk. The long and the short of it is that I was forced to leave my dhirsti behind the airport security counter along with confiscated shaving razors and bottled water.

Overall, I was very sad to leave India. I had a wonderful trip, although it was much too short. The best part of it was visiting with my family. A close second was the amazing food that I ate and the hundred of pictures I was able to take (to be uploaded on flickr soon).

And with that, my blog is over. Perhaps there will be another one sometime in the future?


No comments:

Post a Comment