There is no question about it that India is growing. Every time I come to visit, there is proof that it is progressing, modernizing, and changing. This always fills me with mixed feelings. On one hand, I see the need for better roads, job opportunities, schools, and hospitals. But, with this change, I often fear that India will lose its culture and what makes it such an amazing country. In Auranghbad, my fears where calmed by a few things that we saw. One, was the mass groups of pilgrims traveling on foot for days to visit a holy temple. As they walked, they played music and sang. In the middle of the procession there were several of the pilgrims who took turns carrying a cart with an carving of one of the gods. This type of pilgrimage is an act that has been carried out for hundreds of years in India. Seeing it still being done, gave me hope.
In Bangalore, however, my fears quickly return. There is so much change happening here and so quickly-- buildings coming up, roads being built that displace farms, prices skyrocketing. I usually love walking down my aunt's street in the afternoon. I remember doing this many times on my last trips and taking pictures of the farmers, kids playing soccer in the field nearby, cows walking around in the middle of the road. This time, the farmers and soccer field were gone and in their place-- construction sites. The road that used to be so nice to wander down is now a very busy street filled with trucks and motorcycles. Yesterday, we went to a very fancy mall in the middle of the city. As we were walking to the parking garage, I turned back and looked at the huge chain restaurants and thought, "I could be in any city in the US right now." It really chilled me.
I don't want to sound to pessimistic. Through the people I have met on my trips, I have come to realize that most Indian people are resilient and have a deep love for their culture and history. And even on my walk down my aunt's road, when I walked far enough, I ran into the two boys playing on the top of this entry.

No comments:
Post a Comment